I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the virgin Mary, and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
1. WHOSOEVER would be saved, needeth before all things to hold fast the Catholic Faith.
2. Which Faith except a man keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he will perish eternally.
3. Now the Catholic Faith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity;
4. Neither confusing the Persons, nor dividing the Substance.
5. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, another of the Holy Ghost;
6. But the Godhead of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost is all one, the glory equal, the majesty co-eternal.
7. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost;
8. The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Ghost uncreated;
9. The Father infinite, the Son infinite, the Holy Ghost infinite;
10. The Father eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Ghost eternal;
11. And yet there are not three eternals, but one eternal;
12. As also there are not three uncreated, nor three infinites, but one infinite, and one uncreated.
13. So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, the Holy Ghost almighty;
14. And yet there are not three almighties, but one almighty.
15. So the Father is God, the Son God, the Holy Ghost God;
16. And yet there are not three Gods, but one God.
17. So the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, the Holy Ghost Lord;
18. And yet there are not three Lords, but one Lord.
19. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to confess each Person by himself to be both God and Lord;
20. So are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion to speak of three Gods or three Lords.
21. The Father is made of none, nor created, nor begotten.
22. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created, but begotten.
23. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and the Son; not made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
24. There is therefore one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.
25. And in this Trinity there is no before or after, no greater or less;
26. But all three Persons are co-eternal together, and co-equal.
27. So that in all ways, as is aforesaid, both the Trinity is to be worshipped in Unity, and the Unity in Trinity.
28. He therefore that would be saved, let him thus think of the Trinity.
29. FURTHERMORE, it is necessary to eternal salvation, that he also believe faithfully the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
30. Now the right Faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is both God and Man.
31. He is God, of the Substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and he is Man, of the Substance of his Mother, born in the world;
32. Perfect God; perfect Man, of reasoning soul and human flesh subsisting;
33. Equal to the Father as touching his Godhead; less than the Father as touching his Manhood.
34. Who although he be God and Man, yet he is not two, but is one Christ;
35. One, however, not by conversion of Godhead into flesh, but by taking of Manhood into God;
36. One altogether; not by confusion of Substance, but by unity of Person.
37. For as reasoning soul and flesh is one man, so God and Man is one Christ;
38. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again from the dead;
39. Ascended into heaven, sat down at the right hand of the Father, from whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
40. At whose coming all men must rise again with their bodies, and shall give account for their own deeds.
41. And they that have done good will go into life eternal; they that have done evil into eternal fire.
42. THIS is the Catholic Faith, which except a man do faithfully and steadfastly believe, he cannot be saved.
GLORY be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.