February 14, 2010 by Barry Parker
1. Have you ever been wronged? What was your reaction? What does it take to get you to react in kind?
2. Read Deuteronomy 19-21 , Exodus 21 : 23-25 and Leviticus 24:18-20 . Are these passages relevant for Canada (and you) in 2010? Why or why not?
3. Read Matthew 5:38-42 . Jesus appears to go from one extreme (eye for an eye…) to another (do not resist…). Are we all to be paci
fists? How do we deal with violence, terrorism, abuse in our world then?
4. What does justice look like in the kingdom where Jesus reigns? Is it different…
February 7, 2010 by Barry Parker
1. Have you ever been in a conversation with another person and wondered if they would just get to the point? On the other hand, perhaps they were so blunt that you had difficulty hearing what they were saying? Think about, and discuss, how do we communicate truthfully?
2. Is it easy to know if another person is telling the truth? How can you trust what they are telling you? Do you use a phrase that is intended to transmit truth, such as “I swear on a stack of bibles that...”
3. Read our passage - Matthew 5 : 33-37. Take a moment and…
January 17, 2010 by Barry Parker
1. Have you ever broken the law—perhaps a parking or a speeding ticket? Did you deserve the consequences? How did it feel to “get caught”?
2. Read Psalm 119:153-160 and Ezekiel 36:25-28 . Is there a connection between these two passages?
3. Jesus makes some astounding claims about himself. In Matthew 5:17-20 ; he claims that he has and he will fulfill everything in the Law and the Prophets—all of the Scriptures. What does that mean?
4. The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7 ) is very challenging. It appears to lay impossible dema…